RISC and CISC are two computers architectures that are used by CPUs.
Complete this drag and drop activity to highlight the characteristics of RISC & CISC processors.
- A RISC ( Instruction Set Computers) processor can only decode a small number of
- A RISC processor has a design so is easier to design and manufacture.
- A RISC processor processes one instruction per (= machine cycle).
- In a RISC processor: 1 instruction = 1 FDE Cycle = Clock Cycle
- Software is more complex to write with a RISC processor.
- Typical Use: (e.g. Washing Machines, GPS SatNav, mobile phones etc…)
- A CISC ( Instruction Set Computers) processor can decode a larger number of instructions.
- A CISC processor has a complex design/.
- A CISC processor processes one instruction using clock cycles (= machine cycles).
- In a CISC processor: 1 instruction = 1 FDE Cycle = Clock Cycles
- is easier to write with a CISC processor.
- Typical Use: , Laptop