In this post we will focus on string manipulation techniques using five common techniques used in most procedural programming languages:
- LEFT: to extract characters at the beginning of a string,
- RIGHT: to extract characters at the end of a string,
- LENGTH: to find out the number of characters in a string,
- MID: to extract a set number of characters at a given position in a string,
- LOCATE: to find if a substring is included in another string and if so return the position of this substring in the string.
>>> to extract the first 5 characters of a string.
>>> to extract the last 5 characters of a string.
>>> to retrieve the number of characters in a string.
>>> to extract a set number of characters at a given position in a string.
>>> to find if a substring is included in another string and if so return the position of this substring in the string.
If the substring is not part of the string, the value -1 is returned.
Check the code below which is based on the 5 string manipulation functions we mentioned above: Left, Right, Length, Mid, and Locate.
Your challenge is to tweak this code to ask the user to enter their school username in the following format:
- Year Group Using two digits (e.g. “07” for year 7, “11” for year 11, “00” for staff members)
- 1 character for their initial (first letter of their firstname)
- The user’s lastname
- A 2-digit code: “_S” for students, “_T” for teachers, “_A” for admin staff.
For instance the following usernames are valid usernames:
Your program should read the username and decide:
- If the username is less than 6 characters long the program should ask the user to enter a valid username.
- If the username does not contain the character “_” it should also ask the user to enter a valid username.
- If the username is valid, the program should decide if the user is a member of staff or a student.
- If they are a student the programme should find out their year group.
- The program should also display the initial of the student as well as their lastame.
- Finally the program should display whether the user is a Student, a Teacher or an Admin member of staff.